Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Barrel Racing - Jesiska Lester


Something I enjoy most in my life is barrel racing. The objective of the event is to race around barrels that are set up in the shape of a clover. If you hit over a barrel (which is what you are running around), you will get a five second penalty. It might not sound like much, but you might as well kiss winning goodbye, being that you are trying to knock out people by tenths of a second!

I have been barrel racing since I was 6 years old. I started out at local shows with my first horse Teddy, who had a way of winning anyone’s heart over if you went out to see him. I kept practicing trying to get better and with time, I did. I went on to becoming Grand Champion at the local shows and once I mastered that, I was ready for more competition. I knew if I wanted to step up my game it was time to get a bigger horse, being that Teddy was a smaller horse!

I then got a horse named Lover. This horse was nothing but speed and legs! When I first went to see this horse my mouth literally dropped because I was so happy to have found the horse that I would be starting my new records with. It took some time to get her on the right track because she was fairly new at barrel racing but after we clicked, we have be doning fantastic! She has won me awards, and money, and a memory that I will never forget. This year we did so good, that she placed in every division, and I am going to world this year (biggest event for barrel racing). I’m more than excited to go to world, and I hope that we do great and place!

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow-this is really interesting and different. I haven't seen barrel racing before so I Googled and found some video on MySpace of you doing barrel racing - you should have included a link to your video here--it's amazingly fast.Your balance must be incredible, as well as your ability to communicate with the horse. It looks like the horse is really into it too. Do you have better video than that on MySpace? If so, please post it. When and where is the world competition? Good luck! --Dan Ream, RBC Library

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I do have more. I am going to be writing another blog about one soon and attach a video. Thank you

    ReplyDelete